Monday, September 12, 2011

Vegetarian Recipe: Eqyptian Edamame Stew with Cous Cous

This week I tried my hand at a recipe I adapted from Eating Well.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, Going Vegetarian Once A Week, I've been experimenting with all kinds of fun veggie meals.  I love Middle Eastern flavors, so I was excited to try their Egyptian Edamame Stew with Cous Cous.

Ingredients 

1 lb bag of frozen shelled edamame
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 zucchini, diced
2 tbsp pressed garlic
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4-ish tsp cayenne pepper
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

Preparation

Cook edamame according to package directions (add edamame to 1/2 cup of boiling water and simmer for about 5 minutes). Drain.


Then, sauté the onion in oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes.  Once the onion begins to brown, add zucchini, cover for 3 more minutes.  


Then, stir in the garlic and seasonings (cumin, coriander, and red pepper). Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook about 5 minutes. 

At this point I started the cous cous, which only took about 7 minutes--it was just the plain boxed kind. 

Stir in the edamame and cook for a few more minutes. Before serving add chopped mint. 


And, voila! A delicious, healthy vegetarian dinner! (Well, I did use chicken broth in the cous cous, so it wasn't 100% vegetarian.)


We really liked this recipe, and it only took about a half hour to make.  The cous cous absorbs a lot of the flavor of the sauce.  Plus, edamame is very good for you!

What is your favorite edamame recipe?
   

No comments:

Post a Comment