Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Welcome to Live Better. Live Wholly.


Welcome! I started Live Better. Live Wholly.* 1) becuase I love to write and 2) because I'd to motivate myself to try new things.  Unfortunately, though, I haven't been a very consistent writer (besides journaling).  I have started and abandoned a few blogs over the years, and I realized recently that my problem was that I wasn’t focused enough to keep me writing.  After a few weeks of posts, the blog would fizzle into obscurity.
So, here we go again.  I am once again setting forth into the blogosphere! And, with a new focus--an adventure that will probably take me in all sorts of interesting directions.  This blog will chronicle my journey attempting to challenge the status quo of America by asking a lot of questions in an attempt to somehow find and reconnect with the natural.  


Today we are inundated with information telling us that everything we do/eat/drink is bad for us--yet everyone keeps doing the same things.  Our society has a plethora of "new" diseases which quite probably have resulted from our wonderful world of processed food and the like.  My attempt is to continue asking the kinds of questions I've been interested in, the big one being: Why do we do the things we do?  And: Why do we use shampoo and then conditioner? Why do on third of Americans giving birth have C-sections?  Why do we keep eating processed food?  Why do Americans think it is okay to be drowning in debt?
An important thing about being a Christian, I think, is not simply accepting the status quo, but questioning it and thinking about it.  I'm not saying that the status quo is bad--there are a lot of things we do because we've learned from history. But, there are also a lot of things we do because some big corporation is really good at telling us we should.  And, if we take more care of our bodies, won't that lead to wanting to take care of other people's bodies?  How are we to care about poverty when our most immediate goal is our next puchase?  My goal, I guess, is not only exploring alternative ways of doing things, but changing my perspective on the world.

Hopefully, this blog will not only be a place where I ask and explore questions, but where you can ask and explore questions too.  What question has been bugging you?


3 comments:

  1. I just want to say that I'm glad you're writing. I've enjoyed back-reading your blog so far and since I finally figured a way around my "you do not have access to this site" commenting problem, you'll probably be hearing from me alot. Praying good things for you through your endeavors!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! I've heard that Blogger sometimes has commenting problems. Thanks for letting me know!

    And, I will look forward to your comments! Maybe you can teach me to sew some time. I have a sewing machine but haven't played with it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to teach you to sew! Just let me know when you're ready. I really enjoy sharing the love for sewing, and I usually stay up to sew at least 3 nights a week, so it's great fun to have company!!

    ReplyDelete