Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Taking the No 'Poo Challenge


Yesterday I began participating in the no ‘poo movement--which means not using shampoo! 
Gasp! 
The argument behind the movement is that besides the fact that shampoo has all sorts of unpronounceable chemicals, it also strips the hair/scalp of its naturals oils (called sebum).  Thus, it is necessary to use conditioner--and a vicious cycle begins.  If we take shampoo out of the picture, the scalp will begin producing the appropriate amount of oil to keep the hair clean and healthy.  It makes sense when you think about it.  We use a product--that didn't exist until the 20th century--that we don't really need and one that causes us to use more products.  Why might your scalp be dry?  Because you put oil-stripping chemicals on it!
I’ve had dandruff for quite a while.  I've tried all kinds of anti-dandruff shampoos and it never gets better.  Now, I'm curious to see if going shampoo-free will rid my head of the annoying white flakes.
Won't your hair stink? be greasy? be dirty?  Actually, no.  During the transition period--which could last a week or a few months--my scalp will overproduce sebum (its natural oil) so my hair will probably be greasy for a while.  But once that stage is over--voila! Some good looking hair!  (Let's hope!)
My method right now is to mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one cup of water. Massage it into my scalp. Rinse. Then mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with one cup of water. Massage.  Rinse.  As I go along I will probably have to adjust my routine depending on how my hair reacts.  And, hopefully soon I'll get some essential oils to throw into the mix--then I'll smell pretty :)
I'm on day two and I don't really see a difference yet.  It just looks like I didn't wash my hair today--it doesn't look greasy or dirty.  Just not "freshly washed."
Day 2:






(Do note that I've been packing and cleaning all day for our upcoming move.)
In an effort keep writing and take an interesting challenge, I'll be updating you on my progress.  It will probably get bad before it gets good, so it should be an interesting next few weeks.  Especially since its July and I'm headed back to Louisiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment